Many visitors to Annapolis, the charming and picturesque capital of Maryland, don't realize that it was the nation's capital during the birth of our country. Washington and Jefferson walked these streets where visitors may take walking tours with guides in colonial dress and cruise where founders ferried in from Philadelphia.
"Why," the visitor may ask,"was it chosen to be the capital from November 26, 1783-August 13, 1784?" A logical reason might have centered simply in the fact that it was a port, but Baltimore was even a deeper port for seagoing vessels. One reason it was chosen may have been that protestants had founded a settlement nearby as early as the mid 17th century. Charles I had instituted the government of the Calverts in St. Mary's City, but the separatist protestants, driven out of Virginia, had already founded a community called Providence near where the Bay Bridge is now. The struggle for prominence ensued with the Battle of the Severn, and the Catholic expedition from St. Mary's to reduce the settlement was put down at Horn Point now in Eastport, on March 25, 1655. This naval battle, one of the area's first victories, demonstrated the valour of the small fleet of watermen and privateers over the state's mainly British contingent. The fleet may have been the forerunner of the Continental Navy and the Naval Academy for which Annapolis is renowned. Governor Stone was captured, and this victory assured Puritan ascendancy for two years while Oliver Cromwell was Lord Protector. It also demonstrated an early rebellion against the Church of England long before the Revolutionary War.
Finally Lord Baltimore reached an accord with Cromwell in 1657 and reasserted control in Maryland but not in Annapolis. Providence grew into a tobacco shipping port, known as the "Town of Proctor's"after Robert Proctor who purchased Todd's Landing, now the downtown section of Annapolis, first granted to Thomas Todd.
After the Protestant Revolution in England in 1688, King William dispatched Sir Lionel Copley as governor, succeeded by Francis Nicholson, who urged the Maryland Assembly in 1694 to remove the capital from "St. Mary's Cittie" to "Anne Arundel Towne." The following year it was renamed Annapolis after Princess Anne, sister of Queen Mary who was King William's wife. Nicholson awarded contracts for the building of a church, a statehouse and a school. The Statehouse is the oldest in the nation, still in legislative use. In 1697, Annapolis had seven inns for travelers.
During the Revolution, John Paul Jones, born in Scotland, brought the privateers, who were fighting pirates, and the watermen together to found the beginnings of the American Navy here as a valiant commander. Then, after the Revolutionary War, on December 13 1783, Washington resigned his commission at the Continental Congress, before the Treaty of Paris was ratified on January 14, 1784. The Annapolis Convention was called on September 14, 1786, which led to the Constitutional Convention.
Many of the bed and breakfasts in Annapolis were created from homes of the Revolutionary era when our forefathers walked its brick streets. After Baltimore became the international port of choice. Annapolis fell into several years of being nearly a ghost town until the renaissance of the 1970's saved its historical treasures for posterity.
Scotlaur Inn Bed & Breakfast
The Scotlaur Inn building conveniently located in the Historic District at 165 Main Street, dates from 1899. On this site was the original Annapolis Hotel, dating from the 17th Century. Chick and Ruth's Delly on this site is an old-fashioned delight, family owned and operated for many years by Ted and Beth Levitt. Ted's parents, Chick and Ruth Levitt, started an institution in Annapolis, when they came from Baltimore in 1965 and revived the tradition of a "ma and Pa" establishment. This has become a treasured restaurant, serving up not only large quantities of delicious fare, but also huge helpings of warmth and genuine friendship for all guests. Whether they are important legislators or world renowned sailors, many regulars literally grew up going to the deli and bring their families often now.
Chick and Ruth's son, Teddy, grew up managing the deli and shared in his parents dream of starting a bed and breakfast. When a fire occurred in the sixties in the Deli, they remodelled the second floor and created ten beautifully decorated guest rooms. Now, the inn is named after Ted and Beth's two children, Scott and Lauren. The comfortable, spacious rooms offer the ambience of the early 1900's. Each has a private bath, cable TV, wireless internet, iron and board, hair dryer plus central heat and air-conditioning. A complete, delectible breakfast is served, and special rates and packages are available by reservation at www.ScotlaurInn.com or by calling 410-268-5665. Experience an Annapolis tradition!
INNKEEPERS: Beth and Ted Levitt. ADDRESS: 165 Main St. Annapolis, 21401. PHONE: (410)269-6737. ROOMS: 10 with private baths. MEALS: Breakfast with reservations, lunch and dinner available. CHILDREN: fine. NEARBY: Naval Academy, City Dock, historic homes, tours of the State House and Paca Gardens, cruises.Scotlaur Inn web site
The Annapolis Inn
The main objective of the gracious owners at the Annapolis Inn is to make guests feel special. This sumptuous inn at 144 Prince George Street offers home-like privacy and luxurious comfort in a gorgeous, regal setting. Each floor, for example, has its own sumptuous private rooms and palatial bath. Another distinction is that rather than being Victorian in style, the decor is 18th century Roccoco, in tune with Annapolis history which stretches far back beyond Victorian to colonial times when it was the nation's capital.
After all, this was the home of Thomas Jefferson's personal physician, Dr. James Murray. Built circa 1762, this house and the one next door were actually one house until 1884, when Ann Inglehart sealed off the wall of her home. The Igleharts, who had bought the home from Dr. Murray's grandchildren live next door to this day.
The inn portion became a synagogue from 1900-1919, when it was sold to a family of Italian immigrants,the Tarantinos. They held it until 1986 when they sold it to Graham Gardner who,before owning a nearby inn,renovated and sold it in 1998 to present owners, Alex DeVivo and Joseph Lespier,a former high school teacher and human resources manager respectively. They renovated the plumbing and electricity and had the gold leaf restored on the exquisite molding and medallions of the crystal chandeliers, which are original from 1762. Their interior designer incorporated French, English, Spanish and Italian influences to create the elegant international decor harmonies and express the genealogical makeup of the owners. Alex creates delectable breakfasts and sings arias,based on his training with an Italian chef, and Joe hosts small weddings and parties of up to 20 guests in the elegant living and dining rooms. Over the years, they have also sponsored many midshipmen who have become their close friends.
Appropriately, the shell motif is consistent throughout the inn along with marine paintings. Charming putti and other fine sculpture grace sconces near five marble fireplaces, most of which work amazingly but contain modern glowing logs for safety. Sprinkler systems and all of the latest security is also in place. From the landing on the staircase, a spacious terrace provides a view of of the lovely gardens and Naval Academy Chapel. Then to the west, guests can view the State House dome. Private thermostats also offer special comforts.
The Victory Room occupies the entire second floor. From intricate marquetry on antiques,to splendid golden window treatments to etched pocket doors this suite is all resplendent indulgence. Massage therapy vents warm and cleanse a tub for two in the luxurious bath, while the floors and towels are warmed and an etched shower and bidet rinse guests before they snuggle into 1,000 thread count Egyptian sheets. For convenience, a murphy bed in the sitting room allows for individualized family space. The Rutland Room, named after the builder, is more rustic, displaying the original floors with peg and dole joists and handmade nails. The centerpiece, a beautifully carved bed from Portugal is conviently king-size. Cozy window seats and a love seat provide enchanting views of the gardens. The Englehart Suite also has a King size bed and the luxurious bath offers a shower.
This is an inn for the special occasions in life when you want to indulge yourself and celebrate to your heart's content. Call ahead about champagne, rose petals in your bed or chocolate strawberries for those celebrations. The innkeepers will also accommodate special diets and tastes.
INNKEEPERS: Alex DeVivo and Joseph Lespier. ADDRESS: 144 Prince George Street. Phone 410 295-5200.ROOMS:3. MEALS: Full breakfast. CHILDREN: No. PETS: No. Baths: Private, two with bidets and massage tubs,plus floor and towel warmers. and showers. One with shower.WIFI. NEARBY: Shops, restaurants, history, boating, Naval Academy, galleries, theaters.
Annapolis Inn Website
Annapolitan B & B - Annapolis
Annapolitan Bed & Breakfast
The Annapolitan Bed & Breakfast graces the corner of West Street and Cherry Grove Avenue in one of the oldest sections of Annapolis. Owners Joletta Smith Holt and John Holt started the inn as nearly newly weds themselves at the prompting of neighbors and friends. Its Foursquare architecture has a comfortable rambling quality, while the crisp blue and white colors convey its nautical theme, true to John's delight in sailing.
Started in 1897 and finished in 1902, the original home was enhanced with an addition to the rear in 1995. It was a rooming house at one time and then became an assisted living building later as Colonial Manor. A porch wraps around the left of the facade, and entrances on most floors make it one of the safest buildings in the area for security against fire.
A guest room on the lower level with a private bath is handicapped accessible, and the commercial kitchen allows for home-style breakfasts and the hosting of special events. A buffet breakfast is served when the inn has four to six guests. When it contains less, private breakfasts are served, accomodating the guests preferences. The pretty pink parlour with high definition T.V. and fireplace is lighted by a lovely crystal chandelier as are the entrance hall and gracious blue and white dining room.
Upstairs, the Port Pleasures is a nautical, sunlit haven with two double beds, and the Stately Seabreeze is an abode fit for royalty. Starboard Sanctity also boasts regal elegance in russets and golds with a king-size bed amid four windows. Rose Rooms one and Two are named after Her Magesty's Ships and share a bath for families or traveling couples. On the third floor, you will find a private blue and white suite with cozy window seats. The diversity of rooms and warm hospitality makes this a perfect home away from home.
INNKEEPERS: Joletta Smith and John Holt. ADDRESS: 1313 West Street. PHONE: 1-866-990-2330 ROOMS: 8 with /a,/c, large closets, high ceilings, TVs, VCRs and wireless Web. Full suites with baths between rooms. MEALS: Home-style breakfasts in dining room or on the porch. Laundry facilities, Fax and TV lounge. NEARBY: library, gym, shopping Naval Stadium, downtown, church, bus route, Baltimore and Annapolis bike trail
Historic Inns of Annapolis
A Collection of Three Inns
The Maryland Inn on Church Circle, rises where the Drummer relayed colonial messages. In 1772, Thomas Hyde built the front. In the 1800s, the rear was added. Restoration was completed in 1970 by Paul Pearson. The inn's basement contains The King of France Tavern, Drummer's Lot Lounge and famous Treaty of Paris Restaurant.
The State House Inn, c. 1820-21, fronts Main Street and opens onto State Circle. Wm. Tuck lived there in the 1820s. Restored by Historic Inns of Annapolis, it has nine beautiful guest rooms.
The Governor Calvert House, named for first owner, Charles Calvert, Governor from 1720 -27, was willed to daughter Elizabeth and her husband, Benedict Leonard Calvert, Governor from 1727-31. In 1854, Mayor Abram Claude enlarged it. Paul Pearson restored it in the 1970s, Today, the inn entertains in 55 guest rooms, banquet and ballrooms.
In 1772, barber Robert Johnson purchased lot #73 from silversmith John Steele. Johnson's grandson, built the brick house at 23 State Circle, The Robert Johnson House, which stayed with heirs until circa 1856. Under Historic Inns of Annapolis guest rooms contain 18th century antiques.
Gibson's Lodgings of Annapolis
In the heart of Annapolis' Historic District and adjacent to the City Dock is the distinctive and internationally-known B & B inn, Gibson's Lodgings of Annapolis, composed of three elegant inns, each historically notable:
The Patterson House reflects 18th century Annapolis at its best. In 1681, this property was assigned to Richard Hill, the First Naval Officer of the Port of Annapolis. In 1691, a brick building on this site was referred to as "The Old Courthouse". The Patterson House includes two large guest rooms with private baths and four guest rooms, sharing two baths.
The Berman House dates back to the early 1890's. This "country" style two-story house has eight guest rooms, each with a private bath and one guest room with special conveniences for the physically challenged.
The Lauer House has six distinctive suites each with a queen bed, private bath, loveseat, TV and telephone. Completed in 1988, this impressive brick house is furnished with antiques, fully complementing the two older homes. The Lauer House also offers a unique conference room that will make a perfect gathering point for your next business meeting or special event.
Gibson's Lodgings INNKEEPERS: Meredith Lauer, ADDRESS: 110 Prince George Street, PHONE: 410 268-5555, 877 330-0057, MEALS: Full-continental breakfast, ROOMS: 20 with antiques, some handicapped and conference facilities.PARKING: off street. PAYMENT: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, NEARBY: boating, sightseeing, restaurants, shops, concerts, ballet, opera, Naval Academy, the Revolutionary capital.
Gibsons Lodgings Website
The James Brice House
Captain John Brice emigrated to Maryland from Haversham, England in 1698. A gentleman planter and merchant, he married Sarah Howard, widow of planter John Worthington and daughter of Matthew Howard, who purchased Greenbury Point from Nicholas Greenbury.
John Brice and Sarah had three children. Ann married Vachel Denton, a mayor of Annapolis, and Rachel married Colonel Philip Hammond. Rachel and Phillip's son, Matthias Hammond, built the Hammond Harwood House. Captain Brice and Sarah's first child was John II, a mayor of Annapolis and Chief Justice of Maryland. John II married Sarah Frisby.
The James Brice House at 42 East Street in Annapolis was built during the period of 1767 to 1773 by James Brice, later known as "the Colonel" He was John Brice II's younger son., who married Juliana Jennings and had 5 children. The building is distinguished by its great size, dignity and huge chimneys. An excellent example of Georgian five part architecture, it is open occasionally by Historic Annapolis.
201 Prince George Street Bed and Breakfast
20l Prince George Street, a gracious bed & breakfast, is a Federal style structure, listed on a survey of the town made in 1784, and called the Stockett House for the family that acquired it c. 1870. It started as a two bay 2 1/2 storey house on the Little Brice House property, surveyed for Amos Garrett in 1718 and willed to John Brice II in 1737. The Brices devised it to daughter Margaret C. Smith in 1820. By 1881, it was owned by Mary P. Stockett and was willed to Margaret Hammond Hill, wife of Harry Hill, Superintendent of the Naval Academy. In 1984, it was devised to Elizabeth Stockett Drake.
This stately Georgian home near the famous Brice and Paca house offers a comfortable double parlor with love seats flanking the fireplace and opening on a flower garden with an elegant water pond and camellias, planted in the 1800s. The patio is a delightful place for breakfast. All guest rooms have four poster queen beds, antiques, en- suite baths and refrigerators. The Queen Anne suite offers a sitting area with fireplace and master bath suite with a double Jacuzzi. The garden is a perfect site for a reception with easy off street parking.
Innkeepers: Graham Gardner and Robert A. Bryant. Patio, terrace, gardens, gazebo, parlor, dining room. 2 rooms and 2 suites. No small children or pets. Visa, Mastercard, Am Ex, checks, cash. Sailing, swimming, touring, shopping. Near Naval Academy, historic homes, State House, restaurants and shops of historic Annapolis. 201 Prince George St., Annapolis, MD 21401. PHONE: 401-268-8053. WEBSITE: 201 Prince George St
The Little Brice House
Ariana Vanderheyden Jennings (1690-1741) was the granddaughter of Augustine Herman and grandmother of John Brice III. Judge Nicholas Brice committed this oral family tradition of her ghostly appearance to writing in 1844: "A tradition in relation to Ariana Jennings was communicated to me by my father, John Brice III, her grandson, as handed to him by his father: A Miss Turner, who lived in his father's family and [knew] Mrs. Jennings before she went to England, saw a female figure, ill with small pox with her face tied up and sitting under a portrait of Mrs. Jennings. She immediately recognized the likeness of the lady to the figure and believing it to be an apparition, hastily retreated and [told] John Brice II, my grandfather, who was so struck by Miss Turner's narrative that he took down the day, hour, et al. The first letters received from England conveyed intelligence that she had died in April 1741 of the smallpox, corresponding in every respect with Miss Turner's account, even to the hour of her death." N. Brice 1844.) The house belonged to Mayor Amos Garrett who took office in 1708.
The Hammond-Harwood House
This famous home of two families is studied by art and history students worldwide. Built between 1774 and '76 for Matthias Hammond, planter, patriot and legislator by William Buckland, respected colonial architect, it is a five part Georgian mansion designed as a townhouse. The doorway, said to be the finest colonial one in America, is elaborately carved in Rococo style with garlands of flowers, ribbons and beautiful acanthus leaves. The south wing was initially the office for Hammond's lawyer, Judge Jeremiah Townley Chase. The dining room and second floor drawing room overlook a charming colonial revival garden. Matthias Hammond left the house to nephews, John and Philip Hammond in 1786. Ninian Pickney bought it in 1811 and sold it to Judge Chase, who bought it for his daughter, Frances, who married Richard Lockerman. Their daughter, Hester died in l924, bringing to an end the era of the Chase Harwood family, residing there 114 years. Today, The Hammond Harwood Association conducts tours Monday - Saturday. Call 410-269-1714.
Georgian House Bed and Breakfast
This pre-Revolutionary home, built in 1747 as a tenement by Henry Woodward, was used as the meeting place of the debating society, the Forensic Club, frequented by signers of the Declaration of Independence. Now a cozy yet elegant bed and breakfast located in the historic district, it is an Annapolis historic landmark as one of the city's oldest buildings and has evolved to the distinguished Forced Georgian style of architecture. It contains six fireplaces, some with original mantles and is furnished with reproductions of period furniture. The many rooms, two staircases and multiple levels create an interesting maze. The first floor has an elegant living room and dining room with original pine floors and comfortable sitting room. Fine museum prints, period window treatments and lovely floral arrangements allow a step back in time. The second floor affords three unique bedrooms, each with a private modern bath and a queen or king bed. A sitting room and wet bar are nearby. Breakfast includes a hot entree, fresh seasonal fruit and home baked muffins, served in the dining room or on the brick patio surrounded by the flower garden.
Innkeepers: Ann and Tom Berger. ADDRESS: 170 Duke of Gloucester St. PHONE: (410)263-5618. ROOMS: 3 single and one two room suites all with private bath. No pets or small children. MEALS: Gourmet breakfast. PAYMENT: Visa and Mastercard. NEARBY: In the Historic District near the State House, Inner Harbor, Naval Academy, shops and restaurants. WEBSITE: WWW.Georgian House.Com
The Charles Carroll House
This only surviving birthplace of a Maryland signer of the Declaration of Independence, commemorates Charles Carroll of Carrolton, one of four signers in the State. Born in 1737, he used it as his principal urban dwelling until 1821. Charles Carroll, "the settler," first Attorney General of Maryland and grandfather of the signer, bought various pieces of land between 1701 and 1716, and the family owned it until the mid-19th century, when it was conveyed to the Redemptorists Priests by the four Carroll granddaughters. Charles Carroll of Annapolis, the Settlers son, constructed the central block of the 2 storey house in the 1720s, just 11 feet from his father's house with a passageway between. In 1737. his son, Charles Carroll of Carrollton, was born. Educated at the best schools of Europe, he returned in 1770 and built his "little room for my books," and boxwood gardens near the water. In 1790, he added one more storey. He entertained Washington and Lafayette. He freed all of his slaves after being State and U.S. Senator. Open Tues.-Thurs for tours, Fri. & Sun. 12-4pm, Sat. 10am - 2 pm. Call 410-269-1737.
The State House Inn - Annapolis
The State House Inn
The State House Inn is located in the heart of Historic downtown Annapolis directly across the street from the only remaining pre-revolutionary working State Capital. The Inn is centrally located and only a short walking distance to many of the city's shops, boutiques, restaurants and taverns.
The portion of the building that fronts Main Street was built circa 1821. The building is described in the MARYLAND GAZETTE on March 8 1821, in an advertisement by Emmanuel Pickney, attorney..."in Mr. Tuck's new building next door to George Shaw." There is no evidence to indicate the building is older than 1821; however, a building was constructed on the site in 1720 and there is no evidence documenting the demolition of that building.
The second and third floors were residence of Washington G. Tuck and his family, and the first floor facing Main Street housed stores. In 1887, the residence was occupied by Tuck's daughter who happened to be the the sister-in-law of Mayor Abram Claude (also the owner of the Calvert House). In the early 1900's, the building was enlarged but continued to be occupied by Tuck's heirs. The stores were occupied at the time by Christian Danmeyer and Hoberger. According to the Sanborn Maps for 1908 through 1913, the building was added onto be an addition facing State Circle. It was used as a saloon/restaurant. In 1918, Nicholas Bournelis and his wife, Frosso Diamond, purchased and converted the building into the "Capital Hotel and Restaurant". Together with brothers George and Charles, Nick Bounelis maintained the hotel and restaurant until 1968. The building survives as one of the largest and most imposing commercial structures along Main Street. Today, the inn has been restored and functions as a fine lodging house.
INNKEEPER: Amber. ADDRESS: 25 State Circle. PHONE: 410-990-0024. FAX: 410-990-9508. ROOMS:8 with private baths. MEALS: No breakfast . Wireless internet access and Cable TV in every room. Well behaved children welcome. Pets must be pre-approved. Please call the inn directly. NEARBY: Five minute walk to the waterfront. 10 minute walk to the US Naval Academy. www.statehouseinn.com. e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The William Paca House and Gardens
The William Paca House and Gardens at 186 Prince George Street in Annapolis belonged to famous Maryland patriot, William Paca. The Philadelphia educated, Annapolis trained lawyer, commissioned this first area five-part brick mansion in 1763 for himself and his bride, Mary Chew. For her he had a fine garden constructed with rare flowers, a bath house and lovely features. Today, the Paca Garden ranks among less than six 18th century gardens of the period in the nation. The brick facade is plain, but the interior is enhanced with an elaborate Chinese staircase.
William Paca lived there from 1765 until he sold it in 1780. He served in The House of Delegates, as representative to the Continental Congress, and as a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was recognized for his distinguished service in the Revolutionary War, and became a senator in the Maryland General Assembly. He served three terms as Governor of Maryland and was chosen a member of the Maryland convention, which ratified the Constitution of the United States. He was a good friend of Samuel Chase and was also in close contact with George Washington. If the United States had not won the Revolutionary War, Paca and all signers would have been shackled and hung as traitors.
The interior of the house contains much of the original wood work. The famous parlor chimney piece has a cornice shelf supported on a frieze with oak leaf trim. Scarlet drapes adorn the windows in contrast to the bright aqua walls of this room to the left of the front door The room to the right was a less formal family room including portraits of James and Julianna Brice and Stephen Bordley as well as William Paca's chair. To the left rear of the hall, a dining room looks out on the gardens. It has an elaborate floor cloth and portrait of John Paca, their only surviving child. Hand painted china and candlesticks are donations from Paca descendants.
In 1907, a hotel building was attached to the north side and the complex later became known as the Carvel Hall Hotel, a center of social activity. At one time it was slated for demolition, but it was saved by Historic Annapolis. The beautiful garden was destroyed, but a Charles Willson Peale Portrait of William Paca reveals the intricate watering system, fish shaped pond spring house and unusual two storey domed summer house. The gardens were devotedly restored by the foundation. Open Mon-Fri 10am-4pm and Sat-Sun 12-4 pm. Call 410-263-5553.
Academy Bed and Breakfast - AnnapolisAcademy Bed and Breakfast
If you would like to stay in a newly refurbished B&B from the 1800's and are looking for the height in luxury and safety, Academy B&B is the one for you! Located just a block from the Naval Academy, it dates back to the 1880's, just two decades after the Academy's founding. The well-regarded owners of Annapolitan B&B restored it with pains-taking care, removing several coats of exterior surfaces to give it the crisp blus and gold facade. They also brought the fence, which once surrounded the Naval Academy dorms, back to its original star and anchor glory. Inside, a cheerful mileau of bright hues awaits you. In the dining room, a gleaming breakfast table is surveyed by a bronze statue, holding glowing orbs of light. This room leads into the kitchen, where Chef Miquel honors your dearest wish for gourmet breakfasts. To the left of the foyer, the parlour, graced by a working oak fireplace, piano and comfortable antiques, leads into a more formal dining alcove. Up the front stair with its lovingly restored balustrades, are whimsical murals leading to three spacious rooms. The City View in bright peach tones, gives you a combination of landmark views, a king=sized bed and glass enclosed bath with chromo-therapy lighted rain shower and steam sauna plus Jacussi. Each room offers these private amenities as well as a.c., WIFI and Direct T.V. The Cathedral View affords sight of churches with a queen-sized bed in gold and burgundy motif, while The Academy View offers a king=sixed bed in Navy and gold with nautical accents. On the third floor is the Bridal Suite, The Harbour View, with vaulted cilings, skylight, King=sized bed and spacious spa. All rooms have sleep sofas, osmosis filtered water and safe exits, causing the Barnes Protective Service to laud the inn as the safest in Annapolis. On the lower level is a suite for girls' weekends out that also includes windows and doors that open to the garden. It has a double bedroom and one with twin beds as well as a kitchen with range and refrigerator, giving an extra nuance to this exceptional inn.
INNKEEPERS:John Holt. ADDRESS: 134 Prince George St. Annapolis, MD 21401. PHONE: 410 990-1234. wwwInnAnnapolis.com. ROOMS: 4 with private baths, Jaccuzis, chromo-therap;y lights, Direct TV,WIFI, A.C, and sprinklers. MEALS:Gourmet breakfast catering to special needs. CHILDREN: If the entire facility is reserved. PETS: No. Nearby: Naval Academy, restaurants, Historic area shops, theaters and museums.
Web Site: Academy Bed and Breakfast
Inn at 30 Maryland Ave Annapolis Anne Arundel Co.
The Inn at 30 Maryland
An exceptional new inn has been created at 30 Maryland Avenue in the historic district of Annapolis between the State House and Naval Academy Gate 3. Within walking distance of all the historic points and in the center of Maryland Avenue's shopping and antiques district, this stately inn rises in renewed grandeur. Built circa 1882, the building was renovated and later placed on the Historic Register in 1960. The widow of a British naval Officer owned it in 1944, and women in the navy lived here during a succession of other owners.
A beautifully tiled outer foyer leads one through welcoming doors to a regal hall set off by a distinguished natural wood stairway, sweeping up to five generous en suite rooms, meticulously decorated. To theleft of the stair is the parlour with its exquisite draperies in black and gold, accented by a fine golden loveseat amid bookcases near the gas fireplace. Nautical prints and the owners' degrees from Johns Hopkins reflect their good taste and fine educations in history and nursing. This parlour connects with a bistro beyond for continental breakfast and chess with early coffee, while a more formal dining room in gold and burgundy tones allows for a full breakfast at separate tables.
Upstairs on the landing is a magnificent gold framed mirror, inviting guests to the spacious rooms beyond. One room looking out on the town below through quaint white shutters has a fresh blue and white ambience and a splendid antique bed, while another room features a wrought-iron bed, rose print bedspread and rose striped wallpaper. A commodious suite features a spectacular starburst beige and black rug near the splendid bed and a sitting room with day bed, looking out on beautiful gardens.
Bridal parties and families are certain to enjoy this grand new inn. Call to inquire about weddings, meetings and reunions.
INNKEEPER: Rick and Beth Cole. ADDRESS: 30 Maryland Avenue, Annapolis, 21401. ROOMS: 5 with private baths MEALS:Breakfast by executive chef or continental. CHILDREN: over ten. PETS: No. AMENITIES:Pillow-top mattresses, Aveda bath products, Satellite TV w/HBO, Bottled Water/Sodas, climate controlled, Large common areas. wireless internet. NEARBY: Fine restaurants, shops, history tours, cruises. PHONE: 410-263-9797 FAX: 410-263-7263 Email: info@30Maryland.comLink to The Inn at 30 Maryland Ave web site
[Return to Historic Inns & Famous Homes of Maryland.]