Historic Inns & Famous Homes
Talbot Countyon the upper Eastern Shorefeatures many attractions. About 100,000 tourists a year going to St. Michaels stop to see the , dedicated to preserving the Bay culture, crafts and tools. Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Easton, the charming capital of is a place of historical significance. Named after Talbot County Ireland's Grace Talbot, it is known as "The Colonial Capital of the Eastern Shore." It grew inward from the water around The Third Haven Meeting House and a court of justice. Originally named Talbot Court House, in 1788, it was renamed . At the Historical Society of Talbot County on Easton S. Washington St., you may journey through three centuries of Tidewater history. The award winning grounds contain the historic house museums of James and Joseph Neall and "End of Controversy," the reproduced 1670 house of religious pioneer Wenlock Christison near the society's archaeological and cultural museum. Call 410-822-0773.
St. Michaels is called the town that fooled the British. When it was being attacked in 1813, the towns people hung lanterns in the tree tops, causing the British to overshoot their mark. Only Cannon Ball House, a 2-1/2 storey brick dwelling was hit in the chimney. This blackout is believed to have been the first in the history of warfare. St. Mary's
exhibits important items to the local history. One colonial house was patented in 1659. Square Museum
Oxford, one of the oldest towns in , was already in existence for perhaps 20 years before its founding in 1683 when it was named by the Maryland General Assembly as a seaport and laid out as a town. In 1694, Maryland Oxfordand Anne Arundel Town, now , were selected the only ports of entry for the province. Until the Revolution, Annapolis enjoyed prominence as an international shipping center. Early citizens included Robert Morris, Sr. who greatly influenced the town's growth. Robert Morris, "financier of the Revolution," Jeremiah Banning, hero and statesman, Reverend Thomas Bacon, Anglican clergyman, and Matthew Tilghman, the "patriarch of Oxford " had homes here. Maryland
A great place to eat in Talbot County :  St Michaels Crab and Steak House
Tarr House Bed and Breakfast - St. Michaels - Talbot CountyTarr House Bed and Breakfast
Located at 109 Green street near Church Cove Park, The Tarr House, reputed to be the oldest in St.Michaels, is believed to have been built in the 1670's by Edward Elliott. It was he who also founded the first Episcopal Church in the town on the site of Christs Church. It is likely that Elliott's house was on the Tarr House site.
The present house is composed of an original Flemish bond brick section with a late 19th century frame wing built on to it by Benjamin Blake. That portion may have been built for a sea captain, but the Tarrs acquired it in the late 1800's.
On a visit, Mary Tarr's husband noticed that her childhood room in the original portion still has the original floor, beams and fireplace mantel. At that time, it was two rooms but now it is The Edward Elliott Room guest room with a shower in the bath. The king-size bed has a bed skirt and comforter in a pink rose pattern, similar to the roses surrounding the house. A rocking chair, antique armoire and window seat carryout the 17 century motif. They are complemented by a marble top bureau, easy chairs and romantic pictures.
The Mary Tarr Room over the dining room has balloon curtains matching the headboard, a rocking chair and queen-size bed. Its lovely bath offers a claw-foot tub, sky-light and shell sink.
Going down the stairway, guests enjoy beautiful, nostalgic oil paintings. The living room is graced by the original 17th century door beams and floor. A locksmith who visited said that the door lock is the oldest he has ever seen. A painting of the house in this room was purchased by the owner from the artist, Bill Younger. It offers a cheerful counter balance to the original fireplace and needlepoint accents. Across the foyer is the dining room graced by a lovely table, seating six for country breakfasts. This is a wonderful inn for guests to take a trip back to a gracious era in time.
INNKEEPER: Bonnie Camarata. ADDRESS:109 Green Street, St. Michaels, Tarr House, P.O.Box 68, St. Michaels, MD. MD.PHONE: 410 745-2175. MEALS: Country breakfasts. CHILDREN. No. PETS. No. ROOMS. Two with baths. NEARBY: Boating, shops, restaurants, museums, galleries, golfing,and hunting.
EllenboroughThe first records of Ellenborough, near
Oxford Road, date to 1695, when Rebecca Berry inherited the property from her grandfather. It wasn't until 1850 that Matthew Tilghman Goldsborough bought the land and named it Ellenborough. He planted the half-mile drive with maples and the sweeping lawn with a variety of trees, still existing today. Ellenborough remained in the famous Goldsborough family until 1909. In 1928, the Chaplins bought the property and demolished the existing structures to create the present house. Under Henry du Pont's ownership, the house acquired light fixtures, silver chandeliers and sconces of fine detail in the dining room. This is a private residence, not open to the public.
The Parson's House on
Morris Streetin was built in 1886 by Edward Parsons for his bride, Margaret E. Stevens. The present owner, Mrs. David Webster, is the grand grand niece of Charles Markland, the distinguished architect who designed the Governor's Mansion in Oxford . His portrait hangs in the house, which is filled with treasures of three early Annapolis families, the Stevens, Marklands and Parsons. Notable are needlework maps and samplers by generations of Stevens and Markland women, including a rare silk embroidered map of Oxford made by Mary Stevens. Margaret Steven's shawl, given to her by her husband as a wedding present, lies in its Oriental bridal box on an antique desk. Edward Parsons was a carver of fine decoys, which he sold near his shop. In the sunny side hallway, you will find many of these decoys and boat models carved by his grandson, Ted Hanks, and water colors by his son, Peter Hanks. This is a private home, not open to the public. Maryland
Combsberry Bed and Breakfast
Combsberry Bed and Breakfast on Oxford Neck, one of Talbot county's most unusual vernacular buildings, is now an engaging bed and breakfast. The unusual architecture and decor, including a stair tower, hidden cellar and eight arched fireplaces, represents unique 18th period design. The two and one half storey, five bay main house is framed by a brick wing of the 1870s on the east and a brick wing of the 1930s on the west. The house is laid in English bond except for the main facade which is laid in all-header bond, a feature found elsewhere in
only at Lloyd's Dostin and Cedar Point. The windows on the first storey have segmental arches and a fanlight, while a semicircular arch surmounts the central main entrance. The land and house are associated with the Talbot County Oldhamand Martin families.
Set among mature magnolias and arching willows on the banks of Island Creek, Combsberry inevitably turns one's focus from history to romance. Here, architecture, decor and setting produce an atmosphere of elegant seclusion. All rooms provide splendid water views and have private baths. Stepping through the sunny brick foyer, one enters a living room, where sprightly floral chintz lends an air of springtime to the first impression. The glow of the original wooden floors chases away winter doldrums and reflects spectacular sunsets on the water. To the right, one finds the library with original paneling, where leather sofas and a tapestry rocker invite reading or chatting by the fire. Hunt scenes grace the walls and the furniture is solid cherry with decorative pillars.
Walking through an archway, hand painted with garlands, we discover the dining room and country kitchen. The most demanding decision of your day might be whether to have a full breakfast in the formal dining room, surrounded by lace covered full length windows or in the cozy cafe setting of this country kitchen's bow windowed alcove. The graceful stair tower, which leads to the bedrooms makes a dramatic overture with its paneled soffit and late 18th century close string balustrade. Cottages are available.
Innkeepers: Dr. and Mrs. Shariff. Living room, garden room, library, family room / kitchen. 2 rooms, one suite, one garden cottage, one carriage house with 2 rooms. Fireplaces and Jaccuzzis. Country breakfast. Cash, checks, Visa. Swimming, fishing, hunting, boating, shopping, dining, golfing, tennis, shopping, antiquing.
Ferry. Near Oxford Oxford, , St.Michaels, Spring Arts Festival, Fall Waterfowl Festival. Easton 4837 Evergreen Road, Oxford, MD 21654Phone: 410-226-5353
Cedar Point is a large Georgian Revival mansion of the 1920s, incorporating a large 18th century brick plantation house of the Edmondson family, which was remodeled in the mid-19th century by Dr. Joseph R. Price. Situated picturesquely on a bend of the
, it has a porticoed front and lovely sweeping gardens to the shore. An old Osage orange tree, which had been hit by a cannon ball, is still growing on its side with the cannon ball lodged in it. The grounds and garden are of Greek Revival reconstruction and are now at their maturity and especially beautiful. The entry lane is lined with tall Cedars of Lebanon and Atlas Cedars. The grounds abound with many varieties of trees and flowers as well as Boxwoods from Tred Avon River . England
The main block is two and one half storeys tall and five bays wide. Its facade is laid out in Flemish bond and is shaded by a large pedimented portico with four fluted columns. Its all-header-bond facade and common-bond brickwork are unusual on the
Eastern Shoreand are features normally associated with the third quarter of the 18th century. Only a Federal-style mantel and the stair with its massive mahogany newel and maple baluster remain of the original details. President Eisenhower was a frequent visitor at Cedar Point. The important southeast wing may be from the 17th century. It is a one storey three bay dwelling with a modern gable roof. Paneled with the old doors found in the 18th century house, the room is now a cozy library style. Its original door gives out on the lovely gardens where the old osage orange tree lies.
Dr. H. Chandlee Forman suggested in his Old Buildings, Gardens and Furniture in Tidewater Maryland that the small dwelling might have been the 17th century home of John Edmondson, who in 1672 probably hosted George Fox, founder of Quakerism, who in 1682, donated the land for the Third Haven Meeting House in downtown Easton. Charles Todd added the wing that contains the kitchen and dining room. This beautiful home is private and not open to the public.
Harleigh is a beautiful 19th century mansion facing west on Trippe Creek. The land on which it stands was patented September 19, 1663, to Andrew Skinner and was known in the 17th and 18th centuries as "Piney Point." It was part of Colonel Thomas Bozman's property in the early 18th century. Colonel Bozman married Mary Lowe, daughter of Colonel Nicholas Lowe, nephew of Lady Baltimore. Colonel Tench Tilghman and his wife, Henrietta Kerr Tilghman, owned the west Belle Ville parcel. Major renovations were made to the property including a brick wing to the north end, complementing the southern telescoped wing. Remaining in tact are formal gardens of the 1920s. A carpet of daffodils along the entry lane has been embellished with more than 15,000 new bulbs and contiguous fields have been converted to a wetland habitat for migratory birds. This is a private home, not open to the public.
Wades Point Inn - Talbot CountyWades Point Inn
Between St. Michaels and Tilghman Island down a long road is an exquisite treasure of an inn with a spectacular view! Built in i819 by Thomas Kemp, who built the Pride of Baltimore, it celebrated its 27th season in 2011, With 26 lovely guest rooms in summer and 15 in winter, it looks out pristinely on the Bay from three sides. Peace and serenity are keynotes here. A beautiful garden full of roses greets guests before they enter the reception area,which was originally the kitchen. Up a few steps,is an elegant dining room, seating ten for full,delicious breakfasts. It leads to the front foyer with its piano for playing and a portrait signed by Lincoln. Across the foyer, we find a cosy living room where guests can play games, read or chat. Delicate mouldings and walls a foot thick evoke sturdy 19th century style. Nearby is the spacious sunroom where guests may also breakfast or hold meetings. Here, floral fabrics, white wicker and marine paintings lend a light-hearted note to the enjoyment of the vista of green lawns rolling down to the sparkling Bay. Up the front stairway from the foyer, two guest rooms grace this original portion. The Peach Room has a splendid canopied double bed, while the Blue Room offers twin beds. All other beds in each wing are queen-size, and terraces on each level allow access to balmy breezes, splendid views and secure exits. The summer wing, built in 1890, is always being updated. On the top floor, rooms are often named for flowers. All have sinks and either a private bath in the room or down a short hallway. Those with clawfoot soaking tubs are on one side of the hall and those with showers on the other. Gossamer,white curtains allow enjoyment of nature amid beech, Chinese elm, sycamore and pine trees. An eagle may often be seen feeding by the shore, owls hoot, deer graze, and domestic animals feed behind fences. The Mildred Kemp Guest House added in 1990, is a leafy bower for honeymooners and others who wish for more privacy. Meanwhle, on nature trails, families with children a year or older enjoy the natural and comfortable ambiance of this singularly gracious, historic inn.
INNKEEPER:Betsy. ADDRESS: P.O.Box 7, St.Michaels,MD 21663. PHONE: 410-745-2500 or 888-923-3466. ROOMS: 26 in summer,15 in winter. BATHS private. MEALS: Full breakfasts. CHILDREN: one year or older. PETS; No. NEARBY: restaurants, galleries, shops, swimming, boating, bird watching, nature trails.The inn is 4 1/2 miles from st.Michaels and 8 miles from Tilghman Island.
Web Site: Wades Point Inn
The Snuggery - Talbot County
The Snuggery on Cherry Street is the oldest house in St. Michaels; it was built circa 1665. The original logs, beams and moldings are visible in the two parlors as you step inside. Originally all of the rooms were of logs. The house was moved in 1873 and was purchased as a licensed B & B in 1987. A complete remodeling was done between 1995 and 2000 to bring plumbing, electric, heat and air conditioning up to code, The current owners replaced all the windows to make them double payned. So the house is very snug and comfortable in winter with its healthful radiator heat. The original fireplace has been in one parlor for over three hundred years. A hunting motif may be enjoyed in that parlor with a cheerful red chest, hunt prints and pillows. The innkeeper has collected antique chests from Pennsylvania which grace many of the rooms.The original pines floors glow throughout the house accented by oriental rugs from Pakistan, Persia and Afganistan. The parlor to the right of the door with a brick fireplace leads into a distinquised dining room with antique arniurem table and ladder back chairs. Here excellent gourmet breakfasts are served with delectable homemade breads, egg entrees, fruits, pastries or pancakes created in house.
Upstairs is a cheerful guest room with a beautiful view of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and lighthouse. Gold fixtures in the spring green bath are complemented by diamond shaped tiles and a diagonal shower. The other guest room is elegant and bright also with lovely bedspread, window treatments and a full bath and shower.
The innkeepers have been accommodating guest for many years and can anticipate your needs for special diets and send you to the finest restaurants, which are very close by. You may also enjoy people watching in rocking chairs on the porch as vacationers walk by on their way to the museum. Once you visit, you will want to return just as so many other guests have repeated their pleasant stays over the years.
The Oaks Bed and Breakfast, located on Rte. 329 at Acorn Lane in Royal Oak near St. Michaels was built in 1748 as a private residence. Its manor house is a showcase of structural renewal. The facade retains its antebellum geniality and grace, but the entire inn has been renovated with comfort and ease in mind for guests.
At the turn of the century, guests arrived by steamship or train to enjoy the bounty and tradition of the Eastern Shore. The halls seem to echo with memories of visits to the Pasadena Inn, its former name, and are even thought to be haunted by a friendly innkeeper who is said to check guest rooms, adjusting lights as she goes along.
Ten acres of tranquil waterfront on Oak Creek off the lovely Miles River lie just beyond your windows at the Oaks. Your air conditioned guest room is appointed with antiques and details authentic to the 18th century. Queen or king-sized beds add to your comfort along with jacuzzi tubs, gas fireplaces, television, telephones and private porches from most rooms. The beautifully landscaped grounds of The Oaks offer a wide variety of outdoor activities in a relaxing setting. Refresh with a dip the swimming pool, bicycle, fish or crab off the dock or just relax in the comfortable common rooms, verandas or boat house. Other diversions include canoeing, shuffleboard, volleyball, badminton and horseshoes. Innkeeper Heather Maloney and Executive Chef Shawn Maloney invite you to enjoy a "Chef's Choice" hot entree and breakfast buffet in the sunny, waterfront dining room or take coffee and paper outside to embrace an Eastern Shore morning after a restorative night's rest.
Take a ferry ride from Bellevue just down the road to historic and serene Oxford. Shop or dine in Easton or watch log canoe racing in St. Michaels.
Weddings and conferences are a specialty.
INNKEEPERS: Nicole and Marcus Van Winden. ADDRESS: P.O. Box 187, Royal Oak, Md. 21662. PHONE: 410 745-5053. ROOMS: all with private baths. Weddings and conferences welcomed. MEALS. Hot breakfast. NEARBY: Shopping, restaurants and galleries of Easton, St. Michaels and Oxford.
Old Brick Inn and Kemp House - Talbot Co.
Old Brick Inn and Kemp House
The Old Brick Inn is a magical place of sumptuous beauty where you can totally relax and unwind. An English country garden to one side contains a swimming pool and hot tub near the Carriage House. Constructed in 1985 on the site of the original carriage house, it has four lovely rooms, one of which is handicapped accessible with a roll-in shower.
The main house, circa 1816, faces directly on Talbot Street and is a fine example of Federal Style architecture, built by shipwright Wrightson Jones as a private residence. One bedroom looks out on the street on the first floor and seven rooms are upstairs. All have been completely refurbished. Enjoy the English Garden Room in greeen and gold with Jacuzzi, fireplace and balcony, overlooking the pool. Some beds are graced with tapestry or brocade comforters and most rooms contain working fireplaces and antiques. The Chesapeake Suite runs the entire length of the house and is the wedding suite. Breakfast is served in the room here and amenitities are more than elegant.
Small weddings are accommodated in this inn as well as dinners for six or more. The owners have a wine license and wine dinners occur once every quarter in the two dining rooms. In the cozy common room, teas and coffee are available.
The owners have also remodeled the Kemp House Inn nearby on Talbot Street. It dates back to 1807 and was restored to those times in 1982 after having been a private home. Colonel Joseph Kemp set the foundations after fighting in the Revolutionary War. He returned to St. Michaels as a shipwright and after he fought in the War of 1812, the inn stayed in his family and was visited by Robert E. Lee and other important men. Most rooms have working fireplaces, and all have private baths with showers. The inn is romantic with modern luxuries and comfortable beds now available. The Key West cottage nearby is a favorite of honeymooners who enjoy breakfast on the porch or patio and stay at slightly lower rates than that of the Old Brick Inn.
INNKEEPERS: Robert Brown and Brim Cathell. ADDRESS: 401 Talbot Street. P.O. Box 987, St. Michaels. PHONE 410 745-3323. FAX: 410 745-3323. MEALS: Full breakfast, dinners for six or more, wine dinners, small weddings. CHILDREN: over five in rooms with twin beds, under five in cottage only. PETS: No. NEARBY: Boating, antiquing, shopping, fine dining, museums, and gallery exploring.
Talbot County Inn At 20 DoverInn at 202 Dover
Built in 1874, The Inn at 202 Dover is one of the most historically significant homes in Easton. For years the building was known as the Wrightson House, thanks to its early 20th century owner, Charles T. Wrightson, one of the founders of the S&W canned food empire. Locally, it is ofen called Captain's Watch, due, no doubt, to its balustraded widow's walk. A classic example of early 20th century Colonial Revival style, the inn also features Beaux Arts, Gothic and Queen Anne design elements. The columned entrance pavilion and leaded glass fanlight and sidelights frame the front door, while nine dramatic dormers ring the exterior of the third floor. Many original interior details include eleven foot ceilings, plaster moldings, a hand-carved mantle and staircase, oak and white pine floors and an exquisite mosaic tiled foyer floor. Also original to the house are a seven foot Victorian mahogany and gilt Pier mirror and a crystal and brass chandelier. The inn's arduous renovation by owners, Ronald & Shelby Mitchell, was acknowledged by the Maryland Historical Trust and the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Mitchell's commitment to historical accuracy was viewed on the 2006 Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage Tour and may be enjoyed by inn and restaurant guests.
An enchanting, sunny music room, graced by a grand piano greets guests in an ambiance of luxurious ease to the right of the foyer after the charming library with its collection of Hummels. To the left of the foyer, the elegant dining room leads into the sunfilled conservatory with a French suite in a blue and white motif beyond. The airjet bathtub is crowned by the gold faucet fiqurine of an orchestra conductor, and each private bath on the floor above has similar whimsical fixtures. The Asian Suite boasts a gold dragon for example, while the Safari Suite's sink is supported by two regal elephants. The Victorian Suite may be engaged in tandem with the English Room for two couples or a family with two private baths. Beautifully detailed dollhouse and dioramas, meticulously crafted by Shelby Mitchell, are on display throughout the inn. The professionally landscaped grounds include herb and perennial gardens, a secret garden with fountain and a pergola.
A restaurant quality caterer's kitchen makes the Inn the perfect venue for weddings, family gatherings, conferences and fundraising events as well as regular dining with Executive Chef Jorge Alverez creating innovative cuisine. Be certain to experience the sophisticated and magical delights of this gracious inn.
INNKEEPERS: Ron and Shelby Mitchell. ADDRESS: 202 Dover STreet, Easton. PHONE: 1-866-450-7600 410-819-8007 ROOMS:Four suites, two with fireplaces and one en suite bedroom, all with private baths. MEALS: Breakfast and dinner. CHILDREN: none under 16. PETS: no. COMMON ROOMS. library, conservatory, parlor, music room and dining room. NEARBY: Walk to shops, restaurants, galleries Academy of Arts Museum and Avalon Theater. Sailing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, golfing, biking and antiquing.
Inn at 202 Dover
John S. McDaniel House, Easton, Talbot County
John S. McDaniel House Bed and Breakfast
The John S. McDaniel House Bed & Breakfast, circa 1865, is a bright, welcoming Queen Anne style Victorian home in the historic district of Easton. The owners since 1999 completely restored the house in 2006 after a devastating fire. Fortunately, the original mantels, hardware, doors and moldings have been saved and rosettes over the doors have been restored. To the right of the front hall, the parlor is always tranquil in Sheridan green with cheerful red leather sofa and chairs and is a fine place to socialize or play cards. A new snack center in the dining room is stocked with beverages and many homemade treats. A gourmet breakfast is served here as well.
The five guest rooms have been redecorated with attention to detail, making each room period accurate. The Augusta Tilghman Room is festive in green and red with a tower window and a bath with claw foot whirlpool tub and shower, while the Robert Lloyd Tilghman Room is in Victorian country style with a gorgeous antique armoire and bed plus a charming alcove, looking out on the street below. European accents such as Italian paintings and French chairs distinguish this suite. The Reverend Henry Lay Room is a wedding suite with a beautifully scalloped white bed, side tables, armoire and chairs. Its sitting area looks out on the lovely gardens, bird feeder and fountain. All the private baths offer towel warmers and most have whirlpool tubs.
The owners added the New Nanny Room which is cozy with its dormers and bath up a few steps at the back of the house. Two Pavillion Suites in navy and gold on the third floor have an Oriental slant with a red iron bed and lacquered tables. Most roooms offer working gas fireplaces and ceiling fans and all are air conditioned. This is a comfortable and delightful inn near all of the cultural attractions of Easton.
INNKEEPERS: Mary Lou and Fran Karwacki. ADDRESS: 14 North Aurora St., Easton, Md. 21601. PHONE 410 822-3704 or 1 877 822-5701, firstname.lastname@example.org. ROOMS: six. MEALS: snacks and gourmet breakfasts. CHILDREN: yes PETS: no. Waterfowl package: special group rate of $199 per room, 3 full gourmet breakfasts and Friday night opulent reception. NEARBY: great restaurants, unique shops, Academy of Art, Historical Society, biking, antique shops.
Cherry Street Inn - St. Michaels - Talbot County
Cherry Street Inn
The charming Cherry Street Inn is just a block from Talbot Street, the main street of historic St. Michaels. This is a Victorian home built in the 1880's by Edward N. Dodson, a prominent steamboat captain. Recent downstairs renovations revealed remnants of a second foundation, where another older structure once occuped the location of the current house. Since Frederick Douglass moved to St. Michaels as a teenage slave in 1833 and lived in a house near the intersection of Talbot and Cherry Streets, the current owners are researching to see if their home may be the one in which the famous orator lived.
During portions of the 20th century, the home was configured into a four-apartment dwelling. The house was restored by previous owners to retain much of its original integrity from the door casing and molding to the wide plank yellow pine flooring. The exterior still has the majority of its glass windows, decorative eave brackets and German siding in the traditional Victorian style. The bay window on the front facade and the two-story pavilion on the west add variety to the architecture. The front parlor is graced by elegant window treatments, a Queen Anne chair and twin chairs facing a fireplace with a lovely needlepoint fire screen near the door to the dining room. Here, a large antique table and priceless portraits evoke times gone by. This room leads into a spacious sunroom with French doors, giving out upon a beautiful garden and serving as a fine common room for guests.
The guest room near the front door is called the Red Chesapeake Room because of its classic rose toile draperies and comforter on the Eastlake style bed. It is complemented by a gracious sitting room with minifridge. Families may be accommodated here. Upstairs is the pristine Blue and White Suite with a large four poster crowned by pineapples, the symbol of the cordial hospitality you will enjoy in this delightful inn. A sitting room and private bath lend more luxury to this suite while a nearby verandah overlooks the town. The inn is only two blocks from the water, and one can see the Maritime Museum and light house from its entrance. A garage in the garden area holds your canoes and bikes. The owners have eight years of experience in welcoming guests for many repeated visits.
Tilghman Island awaits you in serene tranquility, a quaint waterman's island, between the Bay and the Choptank River. You can completely relax, enjoying the unspoiled natural beauty of the island.
Go on a sailing excursion in the home of the largest fleet of skipjacks in the nation. First charted by Captain John Smith in 1608, the island has been inhabited by brave men and women who pioneered the seafood business.
The name Tilghman Island was derived in 1775 by owner Matthew Tilghman. The island suffered a substantial loss of resources in the War of 1812. Steamboat service was established in 1890, and travelers were escorted by horse drawn vehicles, a service now offered by vans. Many accommodations are luxurious and cordiality awaits you everywhere.
Black Walnut Point Inn Bed and Breakfast - Tilghman Iland Talbot CountyBlack Walnut Point Inn - Tilghman Island
At the far tip of Tilghman Island is Black Walnut Point Inn, The inn for those who truly want to get away from it all. Legend has it that the main house has been moved inland three times because of erosion. One can see the Sharp Island Light from the present location, but at one time the large edifice could be reached by walking out nearly to the lighthouse. An enigma for several decades, the inn is enveloped in mystery. Dignitaries of the Pentagon are said to have planned the Gulf WAr here. Then after the war, CIA operatives stayed on this property. The raidar station just before the gates monitors every event in the Bay area and far beyond. The fifty seven acre island property is a bird sanctuary owned by the state of Maryland. Nearby Choptank River,of Mitchner fame,is the spawning river for Rockfish. A cross within view of the house marks the end of the river. Closeby.a pair of bald, nesting eagles raise their little ones within view, and ospreys abound amid yews, locusts, maples, red cedars and ofcourse, black walnut trees.
The main house was built circa 1840 and boasts the original black walnut beams. The property adjacent is six acres and no one ever feels crowded no matter how many guests are entertained. It is about 200 yards wide and surrounded by water. The main house has four guest rooms, while three luxury cabins provide privacy for for couples and families with screened in porches, full kitchens, king size beds, fireplaces and private baths plus exquisite sunrises over the water.
Black Walnut Point's orginal land comprised more than 250 acres as a fruit farm with extensive orchards. I was purchased in 1843 from Tench Tilghman, grandson of George Washington's aid-de-camp, by John VAlliant, a Baltimore merchant who built the house. It is presently the oldest building on the island.A crystal pineapple chandelirer in the foyer of the main house welcomes guests to the inn. The dining room with its long antique table and sideboard heralds sumptuous country breakfasts and the grand piano in the living room suggests convivial evenings.This room leads into a delightful sunroom with several tables and a jukebox. Up a few back stairs from the dining room is the Tilghman room with a red and green motif, kingsize bed and a day bed. Across the hall is the Talbot Room in mint green with cathedral ceilings.The bay Room has a queen size bed and lovely view from two sides.while the Attic Hideaway features dormers,a double bed and built in chests. All rooms have private baths and air conditioning. Other amenities include a hot tub, fishing pier and swimming pool.
INNKEEPERS: Bob and Tracey. ADDRESS: 4417 Black Walnut Point Road, PO Box 308, Tilghman, Maryland 21671. PHONE 410 886-2452. EMail: stay@BlackWalnutPointInn.com ROOMS: four and three cabins with private baths. MEALS: Country breakfasts and pantry service for dinners and lunches to cook yourself. No children or pets. Nearby: Tilghman Island fine restaurants, St. Michaels shops and galleries and fine dining, fishing, kayaking and bird watching. BlackWalnutPointInn Website
The Lazyjack Inn "a welcome reprieve from the ordinary".
For 160 years this comfortable old house has watched over the waters of Dogwood Harbor. As our guest, you will experience the same views and share a sense of history you won't soon forget.
The Lazyjack Inn is located in the village of Tilghman Island, home of the last working sailing fleet in the country. Several fine restaurants and antique shops are within walking distance of the inn. A tour of the island will allow you to experience the old and the new, from world class yachts to one hundred year old sailing ships.
The Lazyjack Inn Harbour Room with French doors, over looks the harbor and presents the ideal view, as you enjoy breakfast or relax in the sitting area. The outside deck is the perfect place to sit and 'ease off' after a full day of sailing or exploring the island. Jaccuzzis and fireplaces await.
Your days at the Lazyjack Inn begin with the finest breakfast fare imaginable, featuring a special 'entree of the day', accompanied by fruits, juice, freshly baked specialties, coffee and a varied selection of teas. Special dietary needs are cheerfully accommodated.
Relax with your favorite book in the Harbor Room, or claim a rocker on the old fashioned porch while enjoying the tranquil breezes off the Chesapeake Bay.
The owners' Yacht Lady Patty is available for sails daily from Knapps Narrows Marina into the Bay and Choptank River. Experience the bronze and teak beauty of the 45' classic Bay ketch, built in 1935. Champagne sunset sails are our specialty.
The Lazyjack Inn, 5907 Tilghman Island Road, P.O. Box 248, Tilghman, Md. 21671, (410)886-2215 800 690-5080 INNKEEPERS Mike and Carol Richards, ROOMS 4, MEAL full country breakfast, No children or pets RATES moderate High season 4/11-ll/15, FEES Visa/Mastercard, personal checks.
Lazy Jack Inn Web Page
Harrison House - TilghmanHarrison House
All newly renovated 49+ rooms offer 32" flat screen TV, free direct TV, free WiFi, extra comfort bedding mini frig, coffee makere, hair dryer. Shared amenities include fire pit, volleyball court, bikes, children's playground area, large inground swimming pool, Gazebo overlooking the bay and more.
All newly renovated 23 deluxe waterfront rooms include waterfront balconies April 15=Nov.30 or Dec.1-April 14 at a lower rate. 3 new waterfront family suites include waterviews, bedroom-living room, waterfront balcony, two queen sized beds, pull-out sofa, extra comfort bed topper 2 32" flat screen TVs, frig, microwave and oversized showers. 4 new waterfront master suites include panoramic waterfront views, oversize jacuzzi tubs, bedroom/living room, waterfront balcony, fireplace, pull-out sofa, extra comfort bed topper, 2 32" flat screen tVs, frig, microwave and oversized showers. two master suites come with two queen beds. Two master suites come with one king bed.
Summer get-away packages include double occupancy in one of the deluxe waterfront view rooms and come with 4 breakfasts and 4 dinners, dock access and slip availability plus all shared amenities. Winter get-away packages include the same amenities for a lesser price.
Full House rentals include the Admirals Quarters which sleeps 6-7, Dogwood Cove House which sleeps 6-10. The Country Lane House, lodging 6-7 and The Lodge, accommodating 6-12. All have 3-6 bedrooms, full kitchens, full dining area, fireplaces, flat screen TVs, central heat and AC, dock access and slip, free WIFI and washer, dryer and dishwasher plus shared amenities.
INNKEEPERS: Contact the Harrison family today at 21551 Chesapeake House Drive Tilghman Island, Maryland. Phone 410 886-2121
St. Mary's Square Museum
This small frame building was moved to St. Mary's Square in the 1960's from a site on land originally patented to John Hollingsworth in 1659. Constructed of timbers hewn with a broadax and joined with mortise-and-tenon, tenon, it is a fine example of early, construction techniques in the St. Michaels Michaels area.
Behind the two part house is a one-story frame hyphen and a three-bay "teetotal building. This structure derives its name from its resemblance to an old-fashioned top. This addition was built in the 1860's and moved from Willow Street. (Where Land and Water Intertwine, Christopher Weeks)
[Return to .]